【歡樂歲月】Opening Doors 挨門挨戶


FRANK
How's it going?
進行的如何

CHARLEY
Good. You?
可以,你呢?

FRANK
Fair.
還行

CHARLEY
Yeah, tell me.
對,還用說

FRANK
(answering phone)
Chinese laundry.
唐人街洗衣店

MARY
(also at a typewriter, into phone)
Hi.


FRANK
Mary ?
瑪莉?

CHARLEY
Say hello.
幫我打招呼

MARY
I think I got a job.
我好像找到工作了
FRANK
Where?
哪?
MARY
True Romances.
在真浪漫雜誌
FRANK
Posing?
當模特兒?
MARY
Thank you. Writing captions.
真是謝了吼,是寫文案
FRANK
What about the book?
書要怎麼辦

MARY
What about the book?
甚麼書要怎麼辦?

FRANK
Nothing, are you working on your book?
沒事,你有在寫吧

MARY
Yes ?
有?

FRANK
Good.
很好

MARY
No ?
沒有?

FRANK
Mary ?
瑪莉?

MARY
Right, I know, yes, me and Balzac ?
對我知道,好,我繼續奮鬥

CHARLEY
I finished the one-act.
我寫完那場戲了

FRANK
I got an audition
我有個面試

MARY
I started the story.
我開始寫故事了

FRANK
Rehearsal pianist.
是鋼琴排助

CHARLEY
So where are we eating?
我們去哪吃

MARY
I'm moving to Playboy.
我轉去寫Playboy
FRANK
The publisher called me.
出版社有打來

CHARLEY
I'm doing a rewrite.
我要重寫一稿

MARY
My parents are coming.
我爸媽要來

FRANK
I saw My Fair Lady.
我看了窈窕淑女

CHARLEY
I rewrote the rewrite.
我重寫了重寫那稿

FRANK
I sort of enjoyed it.
我還滿喜歡的

MARY
I threw out the story.
我放棄了那個故事

CHARLEY
I'm meeting an agent.
我要碰一個經紀

ALL
We'll all get together on Sunday.
我們星期日碰面

We're opening doors,
Singing, "Here we are!"
We're filling up days
On a dime.
That faraway shore's
Looking not too far.
We're following every star
There's not enough time!
我們挨門挨戶拜訪
唱著「我們在這」
我們充實每一天
僅靠著十分錢
那對岸看來
並沒太遙遠
我們跟隨每顆星
時間快要不夠了

FRANK
I called a producer.
我打給了製作人

CHARLEY
I sent off the one-act.
我寄去了那場戲

MARY
I started the story.
我開始新的故事

FRANK
He said to come see him.
他說要去見他

CHARLEY
I dropped out of college.
我從大學休學

MARY
I met this musician.
我遇到一個音樂家

FRANK
I'm playing a nightclub.
我在夜店演奏

CHARLEY
They're doing my one-act!
他們要做我的戲!

MARY
I'm working for Redbook.
我在幫女性雜誌寫文章

FRANK
I rewrote the ballad.
我重寫了那首抒情

MARY
I finished the story.
我寫完了故事

CHARLEY
We started rehearsals.
我們開始排練

MARY
I threw out the story
And then the musician.
I'm moving to Popular Science.
我放棄了那個故事和那個音樂家
我轉行到科學雜誌

ALL
We're opening doors,
Singing, "Look who's here!"
Beginning to sail
On a dime.
That faraway shore's
Getting very near!
We haven't a thing to fear,
We haven't got time!
我們挨門挨戶拜訪
唱著「看看誰來了」
開始遠航
僅靠著十分錢
遙遠的彼岸
已經非常接近
我們無所畏懼
我們也沒時間了

(They go back to work intensely.)

FRANK
How's it coming?
近來可好

CHARLEY
Good. You?
不錯你呢?

FRANK
Done.
好了

CHARLEY
One minute ?
等等喔

FRANK
(answering phone)
Hamburg Heaven.
漢堡天堂

MARY
(into phone)
Hi.


FRANK
Mary ?
瑪莉?

CHARLEY
Say hello.
幫我打招呼

MARY
I got another job.
我又找到工作了

FRANK
Where?
哪裡

MARY
Chic.
奇克

FRANK
What's that?
那是甚麼

MARY
A brand-new concept:
Pop-up pictures.
新概念雜誌、有立體圖

FRANK
What about the book?
書要怎麼辦

MARY
What about the book?
甚麼書要怎麼辦

FRANK
Did you give the publisher the book?
你寄給出版社書了嗎

MARY
Yes ?
有?

FRANK
Good.


MARY
No ?
沒有?

FRANK
Mary ?
瑪莉?

MARY
Look, I ?
聽我說

CHARLEY
(ripping the paper out of the typewriter)
Finished!
完成了!

FRANK
Let me call you back.
等等我打給你

MARY
(hanging up)
Right.


CHARLEY
This is just a draft.
這只是草稿

FRANK
Right.


CHARLEY
I haven't had the time to do a polish
我還沒時間雕磨

FRANK
Will you sing!!
你先唱吧

CHARLEY
Right.
(reading from his lyrics)
"Who wants to live in New York?
Who wants the worry, the noise, the dirt, the heat?
Who wants the garbage cans clanging in the street?
Suddenly I do.
(They are now auditioning for Joe Josephson.)
They're always popping the cork ? "
I hate that line ?
"The cops, the cabbies, the salesgirls up at Saks,
You gotta have a real taste for maniacs ?
Suddenly I do!"
你先唱吧

誰想要住在紐約
誰喜歡噪音塵土和熱氣煩惱
誰喜歡街上作響的垃圾桶
我卻愛上這裡
他們總在開酒慶祝(我討厭這句)
不管是警察司機或百貨公司的業務女郎
你得懂得品味這些肖人
但突然間我可以


JOE
That's great. That's swell.
The other stuff as well.
It isn't every day
I hear a score this strong
But fellas, if I may,
There's only one thing wrong:
不賴,很棒
其他聽來也不錯
我不會每天都聽到
那麼強的旋律
但朋友,請容我說一句
只有一個地方有問題

There's not a tune you can hum.
There's not a tune you go bum-bum-bum-di-dum.
You need a tune you can bum-bum-bum-di-dum ?
Give me a melody!
這些旋律你都唱不了
這些旋律你都無法跟著哼幫幫幫低幫
你需要旋律讓人跟著哼幫幫幫低幫
給我點旋律


Why can't you throw 'em a crumb?
What's wrong with letting 'em tap their toes a bit?
I'll let you know when Stravinsky has a hit ?
Give me some melody!
為什麼不讓觀眾嘗點甜
讓他們打點節拍有甚麼不好
史特拉文斯基也賣不了錢
給我點旋律

Oh sure, I know,
It's not that kind of show.
But can't you have a score
That's sort of in between?
Look, play a little more,
I'll show you what I mean ?
對我知道
你們想寫的不是那種戲
但你們能不能在中間
安差點好聽的譜曲
來,在彈一小段
我會解釋給你聽


CHARLEY
"Who wants to live in New York?
I always hated the dirt, the heat, the noise.
But ever since I met you, I ? "
誰想要住在紐約
誰喜歡噪音塵土和熱氣煩惱
但自從遇見你
我-

JOE
Listen, boys,
Maybe it's me,
But that's just not a hummmmmmmmmmmmmable melody!
(as he leaves)
Write more, work hard ?
Leave your name with the girl.
Less avant-garde ?
Leave your name with the girl.
Just write a plain old melodee-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee ?
Dee-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee ?
聽著小夥子
或許是我的問題
但這就不是能哼哼哼哼的旋律
繼續寫,努力幹
把你們的名字留給那個女生
別太前衛
把你們名字留給那個女生
就寫點簡單傳統的旋律律律律律

CHARLEY
They're stopping rehearsals.
They ran out of money ?
排練得暫停
錢都已經見底

MARY
We lasted one issue.
My book was rejected
還有一個問題
我的書被喊停

FRANK
The nightclub was raided.
I have to start coaching
夜店被檢舉
我得教鋼琴

MARY
My parents are coming.
我爸媽要來

CHARLEY
They screwed up the laundry.
衣服都洗壞了

FRANK
My wallet was stolen.
錢包被偷了

MARY
I saw the musician.
我遇到那個音樂家

CHARLEY
We're being evicted.
我們要被驅離

MARY
I'm having a breakdown.
我快崩潰了

ALL
We'll all get together on Sunday.
They're slamming doors,
Singing, "Go away!"
It's less of a sail
Than a climb.
That faraway shore's
Farther every day.
We're learning to ricochet ?
We still have a lot to say ?
我們週日聚再一起
挨門挨戶地被拒
唱著「滾一邊去」
這根本不像航行
而是徒手攀岩壁
那遙遠的彼岸
每天都多點距離
我們學會被踢皮球
但還有壯志未聲明

FRANK
You know what we'll do?
你知道我們該怎做甚麼嗎

CHARLEY
What?
甚麼

FRANK
We'll do a revue.
我們做個選粹

CHARLEY
What?
甚麼?

MARY
What?
甚麼?

FRANK
We'll do a revue of our own!
我們自己做個選粹秀

MARY
What?
甚麼?

GIRL AUDITIONING
"Who wants to live in New York?
Who wants the worry, the noise, the dirt, the heat?
Who wants the garbage cans clanging in the street ? ?"
誰想要住在紐約
誰喜歡噪音塵土和熱氣煩惱
誰喜歡街上作響的垃圾桶(我能唱更高)

FRANK
Thank you for coming.
(A second girl ? Beth ? steps up.)
Next eight, please.
謝謝光臨,我們想找更有經驗的
下一位謝謝


BETH
"They're always popping their cork ? "
他們總在開酒慶祝

FRANK
(to Ted)
Up a tone.
升KEY

BETH
" ? The cops, the cabbies, the salesgirls up at Saks ? "
不管是警察司機或百貨公司的業務女郎

FRANK
Up a tone.
升KEY

BETH
" ? You gotta have a real taste for maniacs ? "
你得真心忍受的了這些肖人

FRANK
Thank you. You're hired.
謝謝你,你錄取了

BETH
I'm Beth.
我是貝絲

FRANK
I'm Frank.
我是法蘭克

BETH
I really thought I stank.
我以為我表現很糟

MARY
I'm Mary.
我是瑪莉

CHARLEY
Charley.
查理

FRANK
By the way,
I'm told we open Saturday ?
對了,我收到通知要我們週六開演

THE OTHERS
What!
甚麼!

MARY
You're not serious!
你開玩笑吧

CHARLEY
Nobody's ready!
沒人準備好

FRANK
Apparently someone cancelled a booking.
看來是有人取消了預定

CHARLEY
The songs aren't finsihed ?
歌還沒寫完

MARY
And what about costumes?
服裝怎麼辦

BETH
And how do I learn all these numbers?
我要怎麼練那麼多歌

FRANK
I'll bring you the copies of everything later this evening.
晚點我會拿所有譜給妳

BETH
Okay, but I'll have to have all the music, and
Saturday I've got to sing at a wedding. Oh,
God, is there dancing, 'cause I'm not a dancer ?

CHARLEY
Not to mention I still haven't finished the
Synanon song or the Kennedy number ?

FRANK
You don't have to, we'll segue the
End of it into the dance we cut out ?
-好但我得有所有歌而且週六我得唱婚禮
噢天啊妳們有跳舞嗎,因為我不會
-更別提我還有兩首歌沒寫完
-你不用寫完,把它縫進我們刪掉的歌舞結局里?

CHARLEY
? And what'll we do about getting publicity,
 Run around town putting stickers on windows ? ?

MARY
And have we decided or not on the restaurant sketch?
I need two or three days to replace it ?

FRANK
No, we'll use it but not with the long introduction ?
-我們的公關宣傳怎麼辦還得跑遍城市貼傳單
-還有我們決定餐廳的戲了嗎?要改得花我兩三天光景
-還沒,我們先演但不要那麼長的前言交代故事背景?

ALL
We'll worry about it on Sunday!
We're opening doors, singing, "Here we are!"
We're filling up days on a dime.
That faraway shore's looking not too far.
We're following every star ?
There's not enough time!
我們都在週日焦頭爛額
我們挨門挨戶拜訪
唱著「我們在這」
我們充實每一天
僅靠著十分錢
那對岸看來
並沒太遙遠
我們跟隨每顆星
時間快要不夠了


We're banging on doors, shouting, "Here again!"
We're risking it all on a dime.
That faraway shore's looking near again,
The only thing left is when,
We know we should count to ten ?
We haven't got time!
We haven't got time!
我們撞著每一扇門
大叫「又來了」
我們賭上僅有的十分錢
那對岸看來再度接近
只剩一件事
我們怎知何時要為了抵岸倒數
我們沒有時間
也還不知歲月